Monday, August 14, 2006

Learning German - Gratefully

In my busyness, I had to show my willing teacher that I appreciated his teaching me and that I must have some progress. It is not everyday that someone offers free service.

Deutsch or higher German is a language most people think is hard to learn. This was my first impression, too, but I have a very patient teacher.

I noticed three articles in Deutsch used before every noun: der, die and das. I thought for a while that der was for male; die for female, and das for neuter. Then I looked again and I noticed that what pattern I thought I had observed was not there anymore.

I wondered then if there were general rules for use of articles. Or if German was like English that it breaks its own rules.

In Chapter 6 on articles in the URL that Amikeco, my self-appointed teacher, provided me, I found the answers.

And yes, some nouns seem to turn feminine when they become plural!

Wow! What could be the logic behind that? But then English, too, is illogical sometimes.

No comments: