Wednesday, August 09, 2006

In Sync: My God is not a Stone nor Piece of Wood

For the last two days, we were in the area of Clark Air Base shooting for my life story. From there we went somewhere else but not after we were caught “for obstruction” on the road. One of us at the front thought he knew the directions and the driver had followed him. Alas! The traffic officer gave us a ticket and we had to turn back to claim the driver’s license. For ignorance, we failed to be in harmony with the flow of the traffic.

Just before this, we spent a long, long time waiting for something that didn’t come. Anyhow, all things work together - in sync with what is best.

As we went about our task, the director was telling me to mouth aloud some statements that I had given before. He told me to say this and that – but at a time I had to act. I said, "But that’s not reality! I don’t normally think aloud. I don’t talk by myself!" After some discussions, we left it at that.

In everything we do, we find that the natural is best; reality is best – because we don’t have to act. Back at the office, the editor asked me, in reviewing the footages taken, if I ever had taken theatre arts. I said, "No, why?" I looked into his monitor and there I saw myself. He was laughing, saying I was a very good actress.

The truth is, I am not. I don’t like to act. It is not my forte. I happen to be acting as good as he saw it because I was only hewing to what is natural. This is what happened.

In the many instances I had to give my share in the television shows where I am supposed to be President for the Productions, I was hedging - having made up my mind that I will not be where there are visuals. I was only contented in being with print. Then one time, shorty after I had to do a 2-minute interview for HUGE of UNTV37, I was asked about my life story - for www.truthcaster.com. And I was to act it out!

What was my life? Well, I’ve lived a colorful one – in activism, the military, the university. I ran after the intellectuals. I followed the philosophers. I had my dreams in the lofty pedestal of the universities where thinkers are supposed to thrive. All in all, I was very busy as a career woman.

I had no time to check on my religious beliefs. I left them to those who made a profession out of preaching. At least my God was neither a stone nor a piece of wood that one had to dress up or brush the dust off - not a god that had to be carried around and cannot speak for itself. I was to reach out to most professionals - educated in the best universities of this world - who arguably bow down to this kind of god!

It was a heavy task – just thinking about acting. Finally, it dawned on me that everything was not about me anymore. It was for something bigger than life. Something where others too, caught in the net, could come up and find freedom. This one I was to do was a testimony.

I took the step and gave my all.

In keeping with reality, there is really no need to act. Most of all, when you consider that you are doing something for someone great, there’s no need to act, but to be in sync with what is true. You then lose your personal self in the whole thing and you can do your best.

But come to think about it, was that just you – that’s why you could do it so naturally?

No comments: